Key Questions to Ask

Have questions? We’ve got answers!

Financial Aid

General Questions
I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid, and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. The FAFSA form is free and filing may benefit you.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid at a particular university?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the university.

Do I have to re-apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Financial aid offices require that you apply for financial aid every year. If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less need based aid. Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college.

How do I apply for a Pell Grant and other types of need-based aid?

File your FAFSA. You should also check the appropriate boxes indicating your interest in student employment or student loans.

Are my parents responsible for my educational loans?

No. Parents are, however, responsible for the Federal PLUS Loans. Parents will only be responsible for your educational loans if you are under 18 and they endorse your loan. In general, you and you alone are responsible for repaying your educational loans. On the other hand, if your parents (or grandparents) want to help pay off your loan, you can have your billing statements sent to their address. Likewise, if your lender or loan servicer provides an electronic payment service where the monthly payments are automatically deducted from a bank account, your parents can agree to have the payments deducted from their account. However, your parents are under no obligation to repay your loans. If they forget to pay the bill on time or decide to cancel the electronic payment agreement, you will be held responsible for the payments, not them.

When do I pay back these loans?

After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you have a six-month grace period before you begin repayment of Stafford Loans and a nine-month grace period for Perkins Loans. During the grace period on a subsidized loan, you don't have to pay any principal, and you won't be charged interest. During the grace period on an unsubsidized loan, you don't have to pay any principal, but you will be charged interest. As mentioned, you can either pay the interest or it will be capitalized.

Your lender will send you information about repayment, and you'll be notified of the date repayment begins. However, you're responsible for beginning repayment on time, even if you don't receive this information. Failing to make payments on your loan can lead to default.

I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

Yes. If you are receiving any scholarships from outside sources, you must report them to the Financial Aid Office.

Where can I get more information about federal student financial aid?

Call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-800-730-8913 (if hearing impaired) and ask for a free copy of "Funding Education Beyond High School." This information can also be obtained on the Federal Student Aid website.

Are Work-Study earnings taxable?

The money you earn from Federal Work-Study is generally subject to federal and state income tax, but exempt from FICA taxes (provided you are enrolled full-time and work fewer than 20 hours per week).
Federal Work-Study earnings during the calendar year should be included in the totals for Adjusted Gross Income, income earned from work, and the totals from Worksheet C on the FAFSA.

FAFSA Questions
What is MVNU's Title IV Federal School Code?


What is the best method of submitting my FAFSA?

The best method of submitting your FAFSA is online. In order to sign the FAFSA electronically, the student and parent both need to receive PIN numbers (for dependent students). PIN numbers may also be requested online. If you do not have internet access, you may get a paper FAFSA from your high school guidance counselor or from a local college.

How soon after January 1 should the FAFSA form be submitted? Is it better to wait until the income tax forms have been completed?

Submit the form as soon as possible after January 1. It is preferable to use completed tax returns for applying, but you may estimate the information if you are unable to file your taxes in a timely manner.

How do I know if my application has been received?

If you applied through FAFSA on the Web, you'll get a confirmation notice after you click on "Submit My FAFSA Now." You'll also receive information regarding your FAFSA within a few days in the form of a Student Aid Report or SAR.

Where can I get help if I have questions about specific situations while I am completing my FAFSA?

You will find answers to most of your questions on the Federal Student Aid website or you may call the Financial Aid Office at 866-686-8243, option 2.

Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit Question
How can I get more information regarding the Hope Scholarship Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit?

You may go online to the IRS website or check with your tax preparation specialist.

Life On Campus

Will I have to live on campus?

All students not yet married, not yet 22 years of age are required to live in campus housing unless commuting from home. Click here to see a residence hall room layout.

What must I do to get housing and how is housing assigned?

Campus housing is assigned by the office of Student Development after receipt of 1) student's complete Housing Contract, 2) Medical History form, 3) $150 housing deposit and 4) $100 tuition deposit.

Freshman Assignments

Housing assignments for first-time freshmen will be posted at the summer New Student Orientation and on the Student Account Invoice, which will be mailed to all students in late July giving their specific room and roommate assignment. Both Galloway and Pioneer Halls house female freshmen and Oakwood Hall houses male freshmen. Decisions will be made with assistance from the students completed Roommate Preference form, however later applications will be made based on availability.

Transfer Student and Older Freshman Assignments

Transfers or first-time freshmen who are 21 years or older will be assigned housing in either an MVNU residence hall or an on-campus apartment. Because these assignments are based strictly on the availability of housing, these housing decisions may not be made or finalized until the first of August. Assignments for applications received in late July or in August will be made based on when they are received in the Student Development office.

Older Freshmen and Transfer students will be notified of their assignment either by mail or by phone by the Student Development staff, who will assign a room and roommate based first on availability and second with assistance from the students completed Roommate Preference form.

What if my roommate and I don't get along?

Students can report roommate (apartment) conflicts to their Resident Assistant (serious issues should be reported directly to the Resident Director). The Residence Life staff will assist students with mediation and help roommates and apartment-mates communicate issues with each other.

Who is liable for damage done to my belongings?

The University is not liable for property damage of personal belongings. Students should be sure their property is covered by parents' homeowner's policy, or obtain a policy on their own items.

What should/shouldn't I bring?

The orientation handbook contains a list of items to bring to MVNU. Please note the following items not allowed:

  • Air conditioners (exceptions for medical reasons upon request to the Director of Student Health Services and with written verification of need from student's physician)
  • Cooking appliances with an open coil
  • Residence Halls: Microwaves (one provided in each dormitory lobby)
  • Apartments: Limited to one Microwave
  • Halogen lamps
  • Loft type furniture/beds from home (extra-long mattresses may be provided by request)
  • Carpet that requires being taped to the floor
  • Furnishings that require holes drilled into the walls
  • Irons without automatic shutoff system
  • More than one upholstered chair per room (must be labeled "flame retardant" and is restricted to 60 inches in length)
  • Candles
  • Inappropriate media (Posters, Movies, Video Games, Magazines).

For more information please consult the Student Handbook.

Who can help me when I need assistance?

Resident Director live in each residence hall and apartment area. RDs are available for emergency assistance on a twenty-four hour basis. In addition, each floor or apartment wing has one student Resident Assistant designated to assist students on their floor or unit. A student Medical Associate is "on call" from 4:30 p.m. - 8 a.m. to assist in medical emergencies.

What facilities are available so I can wash my clothes?

Washers and dryers are located on the lower floors of all Residence Halls. Facilities are also located in each group of apartments. These facilities are available to residential students free of cost.

What should I wear while on campus?

Appropriate campus outerwear: Casual jeans, slacks, sweatpants, skirts, dresses, and culottes, clean and neat. Shorts that are modest (two inch maximum above the knee) are permitted in the Den, Campus Center Lobby, Computer Labs, Cafeteria, and Library after 4:30 p.m., and all day Saturday. Shorts are not permitted in these areas on Sundays.

Inappropriate campus outerwear: Midriff outfits, halter-tops, sundresses, miniskirts, cut-off shorts, cut-off shirts, tank tops, spaghetti straps, form-fitting outfits (including bike shorts or stretch pants, unless covered by a skirt- length shirt), clothing with inappropriate writing or pictures, attire that is sloppy, unclean, or immodest.

Can I keep my car or bicycle on campus?

All students are permitted to have motor vehicles on campus. All cars and bicycles must be registered with Security. Bikes must be kept in bike racks located near each residence hall.

Can I have overnight guests?

A student may have up to three (same gender), individual overnight visitors in his/her room, with a limit of three nights per month. All visitors must be registered with the Resident Director. Child care or babysitting is not permitted in any campus area.

How are disciplinary issues resolved?

Disciplinary issues are generally presented to peer Residence Judicial Councils, and/or the Associate Dean of Student Development. As much as is possible, students will be given the option for community service in lieu of fines, unless damage to university property has been incurred. In addition, systems of accountability, such as counseling, accountability partners, etc. are used for behavioral intervention. When it is necessary for a student to be suspended from classes and campus for a period of time, students will be asked to notify parents of their suspension.

Is there a curfew?


Monday through Thursday - Midnight
Friday and Saturday - 1:30 am
Sunday - 1:00 am

Monday through Thursday - 1 am
Friday and Saturday - 2:30 am
Sunday - 2:00 am

Can I spend the night off campus?

Students are allowed overnight sign-outs to visit friends and family. Sign-out sheets provided on each floor or apartment door must be completed with accurate information of location, dates and phone numbers.

Are there quiet hours, study rooms?

Campus Quiet Hours are 10pm - 10am, any exceptions may be posted by Residence Halls (during exam weeks or based on the requests or a majority of Residents to encourage a study atmosphere in the residence living areas. Study rooms are available in each Residence Area, with student access to a PC.

Will I have storage space for my belongings?

Minimal storage space can be found under the beds in the dormitories and above closets. Students are not permitted to store personal belongings at the University during the school year or the summer. Students are encouraged to limit personal belongings brought to campus, and to bring only seasonal clothes due to shortage of storage space.

Do I have to provide my own food?

All residential students are required to participate in the University's meal plan and student health insurance plan. Students can bring their own food and beverages. Students are permitted to bring their own mini-Refrigerator (max. 2.9 cubic feet).

Do I need to have my own health insurance?

If students have other family health insurance, they will be able to waive MVNU’s health plan upon providing details of their other insurance. All students have access to on-campus health services. MVNU’s health plan assists with access to off-campus medical providers. Parents and students have found this provision helpful when unexpected student illness or emergencies mandate immediate attention by health professionals; consequently, service delays or access restrictions are minimized. Students have coverage of medical expenses according to the plan's benefits.

What ATM option do I have on campus?

MVNU offers a banking partnership through PNC. Please visit for more information.

Still have questions? No problem! One of our Admission Counselors would love to talk with you!

Contact an Admission Counselor

Campus Map
Schedule a Campus Visit Today!
Upcoming Campus Events
MSO: Middle School Only Posted on August 28, 2013
NYI Regional Bible Quiz Posted on August 28, 2013
BLAST Posted on April 22, 2014